The Mountain Leader Award is designed for people who want to introduce and lead people in the mountains, hills and upland areas of the UK and Ireland. The scheme began in the 1960s and today Mountain Leaders operate the length and breadth of the country.
The award offers the opportunity to learn best practice and prove competence in mountain leadership and is recognised by private companies, local authorities, the Health and Safety executive and the Adventure Activities Licensing Service as the appropriate qualification for those leading walking groups in the UK mountains. For a definition of âmountainousâ terrain and specific geographical areas see Appendix 1 of the Mountain Leader handbook.
Mountain Training England provider Adventure Unlimited in conjunction with Pure Outdoor is offering the opportunity to participate in a ML Training course based from Pure Outdoor HQ.
This six-day course runs over three weekends in the Peak District, Lake District and Snowdonia and covers all areas of the Mountain Leader syllabus. The training course is a mixture of practical sessions on the hill and theory sessions covering areas such as emergency procedures and mountain weather. Youth hostel accommodation is included in the Peak District and Snowdonia.
Feb/Mar 2019 Course:
23rd-24th February 2019 (Peak District), 9th-10th March 2019 (Lake District), 23rd-24th March 2019 (N Wales)
May/June 2019 Course:
4th-5th May 2019 (Peak District), 18th-19th May 2019 (Lake District), 1st-2nd June 2019 (N Wales)
Oct/Nov 2019 Course:
5th-6th October 2019 (Peak District), 19th-20th October 2019 (Lake District), 2nd-3rd November 2019 (N Wales)
We also run a 6 day Training course over over 1 full week - see our Week-Long ML Training for details.
Stages in the Mountain Leader Scheme
1. Gain personal walking experience in the UK mountains. This should amount to at least twenty walking days over a period of at least twelve months in mountainous areas (e.g. Highlands of Scotland, Lake District, Snowdonia, High Peak and others).
2. Register for the ML scheme with Mountain Training. In order to do this you will need to be a current British Mountaineering Council (BMC) member. Registering for the scheme will give you access to a digital logbook where you can record your walking experience.
3. Attend a Mountain Leader Training course.
4. Consolidate experience between training and assessment courses.
5. Attend a Mountain Leader Assessment course.
Registration with MTUK prior to attending
To register you should have at least twelve months experience of hill walking. You must also have an interest in leadership of groups in the hills and be at least eighteen years of age. Candidates with particular requirements or special needs may wish to contact Pure Outdoor staff for advice and guidance.
Final Payments and Course Information
Upon booking online, the course director will email you directly within 7 days. Arrangements for final balances are also made at this point.
VAT on NGB Courses
As we work in partnership with a third party company on these courses the price is shown as including VAT above, however there is only VAT to pay on the portion that is paid to us so 20% VAT within the deposit price shown above.