Learning to lead climb using leader placed protection is a crucial stage for a climber, and the most important time to get expert tuition.
Meeting your instructor on the first morning provides an opportunity to discuss your experience and aspirations enabling the instructor to plan the programme around the main topics to be covered.
- Re-cap on core rock climbing skills such as movement on rock and belaying both leader and second (including holding falls and lowering).
- Tying into multi – point anchors both in reach and out of reach using the rope alone.
- Using rock climbing protection equipment such as nuts, hexes and camming devices and assessing the efficacy of the placements.
- Developing lead climbing skills, including psychological coping strategies for managing lead climbing stresses, on a variety of climbs in a progressive and structured manner.
- Setting up and using a retrievable abseil, including protecting yourself on an abseil using an auto block.
Lead climbing, with the inherent risk of falling no matter how well managed, is risky. You should be aware of and accept these risks. You will therefore be encouraged to discuss with your instructor how you progress from day to day to allow both you and your instructor to manage these risks.
This is not a residential course, the participants will need to be dropped and picked up from the training centre each day.
PARENTS PLEASE NOTE: Our Under 18’s courses are for young people who are keen on a particular activity. The young people will receive expert tuition from highly qualified and experienced staff. There is virtually nowhere else where you can get such a high quality of five days tuition in one subject at a student instructor ratio of 1:6. This course mirrors the adult one of the same name, the content and aims are similar but the style and approach in which the course is run is geared towards younger people.
We have set a minimum age of 12 and a maximum age of 17. There is a big range of stamina and maturity in young people around these ages. Participants age 15 years and over can attend our regular programme of courses.
All staff have enchanced DBS clearance, we hold a valid AALA Licence and Public Liabiltiy Insurance.