The Hill and Moorland Leader Award is designed for those leading hillwalkers in non-mountainous, upland areas of the UK and Ireland and looks at the leadership skills required to confidently lead walking groups in such areas.
The HML is a nationally recognised qualification and is administered by Mountain Training. The award is particularly relevant to teachers, scout leaders and those involved in supervising Duke of Edinburgh expeditions for young people in upland areas of the UK.
Mountain Training England provider Adventure Unlimited in conjunction with Pure Outdoor is offering the opportunity to participate in a HML Assessment course based from Pure Outdoor HQ. The scheme is open to all hillwalkers who are at least eighteen years of age and interested in leading in the hills.
The three-day Hill and Moorland Leader Assessment course is based in the High Peak and assesses competence in the skills needed to lead walking groups in upland areas.
Stages in the Hill and Moorland Leader Award Scheme
1. Gain personal hill walking experience. This should amount to at least twenty hill walking days over a period of at least twelve months.
2. Register for the HML scheme with Mountain Training. In order to do this you will need to be a current British Mountaineering Council (BMC) member. Registering for the scheme will give you access to a digital logbook where you can record your hillwalking experience.
3. Attend a Hill and Moorland Leader Training course.
4. Consolidate experience between training and assessment courses.
5. Attend a Hill and Moorland Leader Assessment course.
At assessment competency is assessed in the following syllabus areas:
• Walking and route finding
• Hazards and emergency procedures
• Responsibilities of the Leader
• Group Management
• Access, conservation and environmental knowledge
Registration with MTUK prior to attending
To register you should have at least twelve months experience of hill walking. You must also have an interest in leadership of groups in the hills and be at least eighteen years of age. Candidates with particular requirements or special needs may wish to contact Pure Outdoor staff for advice and guidance.
Final Payments and Course Information
Upon booking online, the course director will email you directly within 7 days. Arrangements for final balances are also made at this point.
VAT on NGB Courses
As we work in partnership with a third party company on these courses the price is shown as including VAT above, however there is only VAT to pay on the portion that is paid to us so 20% VAT within the deposit price shown above.