You may not be able to learn the complete art of map reading in one day but we can give it a fair shot with our popular ‘Right Way in a Day’ navigation course . Those of you looking at a day out with a difference, a chance to learn some new skills or just to get some fresh air. We will look into all of the basics of map reading including some basic uses of the compass. A great introduction to the navigation skills you need to get out and about.
It is finally time to get to grips with your GPS on a Pure Outdoor GPS Navigation Course. This course is aimed at those of you who are considering buying a GPS or already own a GPS unit and are looking at getting the best from a GPS unit.
This practical course is based from our training centre in Peak District where we examine some of the theory elements of how the GPS works and the functions. From here we take it outside and into the field on a journey comparing the differences between traditional navigation and that of the GPS, the local vicinity to the outdoors from our base means we can re-visit the centre in the afternoon and look at how to get your GPS interacting with a computer and vice versa.
The aim of the day is that you will leave the course with the skills to navigate using a GPS confidently using waypoints, routes and tracks, and understand how you can use software to buy additional maps, send user data like routes & trails to/from your device, manage data files and become involved in the growing sport of Geocaching.
During the course you will look at:
- Maps, scales, grid system, grid references.
- The Strategy – Distance, Direction, Check Off and Overshoot.
- The Compass, different types, advantages and disadvantages, measuring and taking bearings, allowing for magnetic variation.
- Pacing distances and timing distances, all measuring and calculations.
- Understanding Contours.
- Routefinding skills – using the natural land ‘flow’ – hazard awareness.
- Learn how to setup your Garmin GPS correctly
- Find out what the various pages show
- Understand what the buttons & keys tell us
- Learn how to name, change location coordinates and enter waypoints
- Navigate Goto's and go find hidden Geocaches
- Learn how you can navigate to a selected point on the map page
- It is difficult to cater for all computer types and GPS devices but we will try and discuss how your GPS works with your computer
Standard hillwalking clothing and boots. Packed lunch. You will need to bring your GPS (unless you plan to borrow one) with batteries, and understand basically what each button does, bring your instruction manual if you are struggling.