The Rock Climbing Instructor is the new Mountain Training qualification that replaces the Single Pitch Award (SPA) from 1st April 2018. Please note the March date advertised is the last course on the SPA scheme and is £140.
The Rock Climbing Instructor Award is about supervising safe climbing and abseiling sessions on non-remote, single pitch crags and in climbing walls. The Rock Climbing Instructor Award has been designed to prove competence in the supervision of safe and effective climbing sessions.
The scheme is open to all climbers who are at least eighteen years of age and interested in introducing people to the sport of rock climbing.
Mountain Training England provider Adventure Unlimited in conjunction with Pure Outdoor is offering the opportunity to participate in a SPA Training course based from Pure Outdoor HQ. The scheme is open to all climbers who are at least eighteen years of age and interested in introducing people to the sport of rock climbing.
This RCI training course is a three day course based in the Peak District which looks at all aspects of the RCI syllabus.
Stages in the Rock Climbing Instructor Scheme
1. Gain personal rock climbing experience. This should amount to at least fifteen lead climbs on traditionally protected routes.
2. Register for the RCI scheme with Mountain Training. In order to do this you will need to be a current British Mountaineering Council (BMC) member. Registering for the scheme will give you access to a digital logbook where you can record your rock climbing experience.
3. Attend a RCI Training course.
4. Consolidate experience between training and assessment courses.
5. Attend a RCI Assessment course.
The Rock Climbing Instructor scheme covers the following main syllabus areas:
- Technical competence (including equipment, anchors, belaying, abseiling, personal climbing skills, background knowledge of rock climbing)
- The climbing environment (including access, conservation, etiquette)
- Supervising climbing sessions (including organisation, group management, supervising the session, personal safety and working with children and vulnerable persons)
About the Rock Climbing Instructor Course
This award trains and assesses candidates in the skills required to supervise climbers on single pitch crags and climbing walls. Common activities undertaken by an RCI holder will be roped climbing and bouldering. The RCI does not include the skills and techniques required to teach lead climbing.
Registration with MTUK prior to attending
To register you should have a genuine interest in rock climbing and the supervision of groups on single pitch crags. You should have at least twelve months rock climbing experience and be at least eighteen years of age. You should also be an individual or club member of a mountaineering council.
Rock Climbing Instructor Video
Download the RCI Handbook
Final Payments and Course Information
Upon booking online, the course director will email you directly within 7 days. Arrangements for final balances are also made at this point.
VAT on NGB Courses
As we work in partnership with a third party company on these courses the price is shown as including VAT above, however there is only VAT to pay on the portion that is paid to us so 20% VAT within the deposit price shown above.